Welcome to the swamp! Things are really cleaned up around here. Come with me as I travel Switzerland and the Rhine on my SUP.


Monday, November 20, 2017

Message in a Bottle


Somewhere between Mumpf and Möhlin on the Rhine, I saw some trash, paddled over to it and as I usually do I picked it up to dispose of it properly but found a message in a PET bottle.  The message was a girl's address and a faded drawing from a town I've never heard of and will probably never visit in Switzerland.  It felt good.  I felt like next to the good dose of working out, I had accomplished something.  Got to my destination, packed up my SUP and started walking to the bus stop.  But wait!  Suddenly it hit me.  I was the lucky recipient of a message in a bottle.  I felt extremely blessed.  What are the odds?  Of all the time I had spent near water, on water, in water, I had never received such a message and likely never will again.  I've never heard of anyone receiving a message in a bottle.  It was simultaneously my find but I was its find.  I had hit treasure.  I had salvaged something.  That's the point, treasure is nothing more than a bit of air, possibly a sun-faded note, from a well-meaning person.  It's beautiful and a reason to be happy.  More than happy, blessed.  Sometimes writing a blog is a lot like writing a message in a bottle, unlike the direct recipient of a text message or the onslaught of spam in the email inbox, the message in a bottle arrives at exactly the person who needs it most.  Today, I send you my message in a bottle, and if I have any readers still out there after such a long time of not blogging, give me a shout!  Here is a message in a bottle for you:
Custom Search

No comments:

Post a Comment